Ask a Nurse: Handy List of Healthy Back-to-School Breakfasts, Lunches and Snacks
Pamela is an RN, MSN/Ed.
Pamela is a mother of 6 amazing children ages 11 to 24. She is a nurse educator and loves to travel overseas to work in medical clinics and teach health-related topics to schools and communities. She has been married to her best friend, Steve, for 29 years. She has many different interests including reading, writing (NOT arithmetic!), baking, teaching, and spending time with her family. She lives in central Pennsylvania with her husband and two youngest daughters.
Handy List of Healthy Back-to-School Breakfasts, Lunches and Snacks
Many of our children return to school within the next two weeks (if they haven’t already). I have comprised a list of some healthy meals for you! I hope some of these suggestions are new for you and your children. I love having some new ideas to begin the school year!
- Set a nice table.
I know that most mornings are hectic once school begins. As a mom of 6, our mornings often were crazy! I tried to make the first day of school and special occasions as nice as possible for my kids, although it was rarely repeated on regular days. The table set above was my kitchen this morning. We had my son’s fiancée visiting, and it was her birthday. I decided to make breakfast special with what we had on hand. I used to make this for my children when they were young. Put a tablecloth on, light a candle and set out bowls of fresh fruit and granola. I cut some flowers from my garden and layered different yogurts in little parfait dishes. A cherry on top made it look special! This meal was easy, quick, healthy and fun!
A close-up of the parfait.
Other breakfast ideas:
- Frozen waffles with peanut butter or fruit.
- Cold cereal with lowfat milk and fruit.
- Grilled cheese sandwich, yummy for breakfast or lunch!
- Rolled up lean lunchmeats, lowfat cheese and finger fruit.
- Oatmeal with milk and fruit.
- Scrambled eggs with vegetables.
What are your suggestions?
- Think outside the box (or brown bag) for lunch
Try new ideas for lunch, we tried new cheeses, whole wheat crackers, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit for lunch. Try new foods on a weekend or other meal at home; when you find out what your children enjoy. We tried white stilton with blueberries, white stilton with lemon peel, bread cheese and brie. My youngest daughter found that she enjoyed the fruit cheeses. She is excited about having packed lunches with the new cheese, crackers and fruit.
Other ideas for packed lunches:
- Green salad with vegetables and cheese, whole grain crackers or roll and milk.
- Whole grain pasta salad with cheese cubes, veggies and small bits of meat. Clementine (or other favorite fruit) and milk.
- Hard boiled eggs, strawberries, wheat roll and yogurt.
- Yogurt, granola, blueberries and bottled water.
- Whole grain wrap filled with tuna or salmon and chopped vegetables.
- Thermos of healthy homemade soup, crackers and cherries with pits removed.
- Leftover pizza, apple and vegetable juice.
I’m sure you have many more ideas I haven’t listed here, why don’t you let us know your favorites in the comments?
As you may have realized, you can substitute any of these meals for the others! Snacks can be smaller portions of these meals, too.
Have a great week, surprise your children with a special back-to-school breakfast! Let me know how it went, I would love to hear from you!
Write me at email@example.com
To see all Ask a Nurse articles click here.
Do you have a question you would like to see answered in a future article? If so, send your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal