I love butternut squash. I am always looking for a new butternut squash recipe. I love that it is a very inexpensive vegetable that feeds a crowd. It is perfect roasted with cauliflower, red peppers and onions, you can use it to make muffins, and of course soup. I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try. It is very similar to a sweet potato casserole with marshmallow topping. If you are trying to make healthier eating choices then I would add this recipe to your list of great side dishes. Each 3/4 cup serving has 212 calories and counts as 4 Weight Watchers Points+.
Butternut Squash Crunch
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/4 c skim milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 3 1//2 lb butternut squash
- 1/4 c water
- cooking spray
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp margarine melted
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds, place cut side down in a shallow baking dish with a small amount of water, bake for 45- 60 min until squash is tender.
- Scoop out flesh of squash from the skin into the bowl with the egg mixture. Mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle marshmallows on top.
- Mix together brown sugar, flour, and margarine. Drizzle on top of marshmallows.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until filling is bubbly and marshmallows are slightly browned.
Do you have a favorite butternut squash recipe to share? I would love to try your recipe! What about other veggie side dishes? Do you have a go to healthy side dish? Please let us know!