Read Gluten Free Thanksgiving tips, gluten free dressing, and gluten free peanut butter cookies! Don’t miss the gluten free roux giveaway or the review with amazing recipes! Need a quick easy hostess gift use Gifts in jars: Jelly Belly, or turkey noodle soup.
Enjoy your gluten free upside down lemon pie during this season of fresh lemons for the best taste!
- Put the constarch, water, sugar and salt in a medium size nonstick saucepan. Boil for 1 minute.
- Put 1/4 cup of this mixture in a separate bowl and add egg yolks. Whisk.
- Gradually add the rest of the boiled mixture while mixing well.
- Put back in the saucepan and heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Add cold chopped butter, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Pour in meringue crust.
- To make crust: Beat 2 egg whites till stiff. Add cream of tartar and salt then add 1/2 cup sugar gradually while still mixing.
- Add vanilla extract. Roll a small amount between your fingers- if you still feel the sugar continue beating until the sugar is dissolved. Put in greased 9 inch pie dish and design as desired. Then bake at 300 for 40 minutes.
- Beat 1 cup heavy cream with 1 teaspoon sugar until thick or stiff. If you want to make your own nonfat whipped cream: Combine 1/3 cup ice water with 1 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Add 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder. Beat until stiff; add sugar and beat a few minutes longer.
- Pour the cooled mixture in the meringue crust. Top the lemon pie with whipped cream.
- *Varieties: The ingredient picture shows oranges- I love the orange juice for an orange creamsicle pie!