Low Calorie Cooking Tips
For the last year, I’ve really been trying to get healthy, and make sure my family follows my lead. Am I perfect all the time? Absolutely not! But I do make sure I really think about what I’m cooking for my family and I. I had spent so many years eating whatever I wanted and not caring, so making the switch to a low calorie lifestyle was hard at first, but I have picked up some tips and tricks along the way to make the switch easier. So I wanted to share with you my Low Calorie Cooking Tips! These are tips I’ve learned from other cooks, bloggers, books, tv shows, etc. And they have helped me make awesome food, while still keeping my calorie count in check! So keep reading if you would like to check out my top low calorie cooking tips!
Here are some of my favorite Low Calorie Cooking Tips:
- Cut out fat where you can! Making simple switches like cooking spray instead of butter for pan fried foods, replacing oil with applesauce in baked goods (it really works!),using mashed avocado instead of mayo, and picking lean cuts of meat are great ways to minimize your daily fat intake!
- Trim it up! When using red meat, take some time to trim the visible fat off. Also, take the skin off your chicken, this is where a lot of calories add up!
- Spice it up! If you are a salt lover like me, try exploring some other spices that are low in sodium and calories. You won’t lose any flavor, but you also won’t be overloading your food with salt.
- Portion Control! A diet book a read had a simple message, eat whatever you want, but eat it in moderation! This is SO true. Your meat should be the size of a deck of playing cards. Eating the correct portion of something will cut your calorie count down a lot!
- Lay off the Red Meat! No, you don’t have to give it up completely, but you really don’t want to over do it. Make sure you are eating some chicken and fish more than a steak.
- Go Meatless! Again, not every day (unless you just want to!) but if you can 2 meatless (or if you have to have meat, have fish) meals a week can cut your calorie intake down dramatically!
- Greek Yogurt. Anytime a recipe calls for sour cream, plain greek yogurt can be used in it’s place, and It’s awesome! Or vanilla greek yogurt is great for baking (in place of eggs and oil).
- Remove the Yolk- When a recipe calls for an egg, replace it with 2 egg whites instead.
- Make it Homemade! If you don’t get anything else from this post, get this:Homemade is always healthier! This is because you can control exactly what is put into your food. You can find a homemade recipe for pretty much anything on pinterest!
Now that you know some tips, here are some great Low Calorie recipes to get your started!
- Low Calorie Lasagna
- Avocado Hummus
- Low Calorie Flatbread Pizza
- Low Calorie French Onion Soup
- Low Calorie Crock Pot Beef Noodles
- Low Calorie Turkey Burger Sliders
What are some of your favorite low calorie cooking tips? Let us know in the comment sections below!
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal