This week’s recipe is Beef Pot Roast & Veggies by Dana at The Coupon Challenge is a staple recipe in many homes. Since Dana’s husband and children love beef pot roast especially her meat and potatoes husband this is a family favorite!
Dana always recommends waiting until there is a good sale on a beef chuck or round bottom roasts to save money. Look for a 3-4lb roast and then load up on the veggies (depending on family size & crockpot size.) A 3lb roast with veggies can feed a family of four for a couple of days. Dana prefers to use the crock pot since it helps make the meat a bit more tender, and you can throw everything in and walk away for the day.
- 3-4lb Beef Roast
- 1/2 cup water (you could also use about 1/2 can or so beef stock)
- 3-6 potatoes depending on size, chopped in large pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped (size depending on preference)
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 container fresh mushrooms, halved
- 5-6 cloves of whole garlic, peeled
- Handful of frozen pepper slices (if desired and have on hand)
- Salt and Pepper
- Thyme (if desired)
- Place thawed roast in skillet and generously salt and pepper. Brown on all sizes.
- Wash and chop all vegetables.*
- Place potatoes in bottom of crockpot then place roast on top of the potatoes.
- Cut slits in the roast and insert whole garlic cloves.
- Add remaining vegetables to crockpot around roast and sprinkle a little thyme if desired.
- Pour water (or stock) over roast and cover.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4 hours.
*If you cut potatoes or carrots too small, they will turn to mush.
Don’t lift the lid of the crockpot during cooking or you will add about 30 minutes to your cooking time!
Each Tuesday during the Fall and Winter The Centsible Family will showcase a slow cooker (crock-pot) recipe that one of the Mavens of Money have tried and tasted. By sharing we hope you will be able to save a little time during the week as we all know saving time is just as valuable as saving money. And you will be able to enjoy a hot meal at the end of your day.
Check out more Recipes!
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal