Your Family Today: Recipes
Homemade Spinach Pesto With Penne
From the Editors of Your Family Today
Spinach has a milder flavor than basil, which some kids find to be bitter. (The touch of honey here adds a little sweetness too.) It’s also rich in heart-healthy, cancer-preventing antioxidants. Pair this pesto with fiber-rich whole-wheat penne to give it an extra nutrition boost.
Time-saving tip: Both the penne and pesto can be prepared several days in advance and refrigerated separately. Or they can be combined and then refrigerated. Simply heat in microwave before serving.
Makes 6 servings (about 2 cups per serving)
12 ounces whole-wheat (or regular) penne
3/4 cup finely chopped grape tomatoes
4 1/2 to 5 cups packed baby spinach leaves
1 1/2 cups packed basil leaves
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons honey
5 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Cook penne according to package directions; drain well.
2. While penne cooks, prepare pesto by combining spinach, basil, garlic, nuts, cheese, lemon juice and honey in a food processor bowl.
3. Processes until ingredients form a thick paste.
4. With machine running, slowly pour in 5 tablespoons oil; process until combined. Add additional tablespoon oil if slightly thinner pesto is desired.
5. In a large bowl, toss penne with pesto.
6. Lightly stir in chopped tomatoes and serve.
Nutrition information per serving 425 calories; 20 g fat; 12 mg cholesterol; 235 mg sodium; 47 g carbohydrate; 5.5 g fiber; 15 g protein.
This recipe was written by Kim Galeaz, a registered dietitian and culinary nutrition consultant. She is the owner of Galeaz Food & Nutrition Communications, located in Indianapolis and Jacksonville, Fla.
Fall Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Fall Roasted Vegetable Recipe
Canning Recipe for Peach Salsa
Cowboy Casserole Recipe
Instant Pot Baked Apples Recipe
Homemade Canned Peach Butter
Low-Carb and Gluten Free Quiche Recipe with Cauliflower Crust
Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Recipe
Easy Recipe for Ugly Dip