Not Your Mama’s Meatloaf
I will admit it, I am not a meatloaf fan. Before my father-in-law cooked it 2 months ago it had probably been 2 years since I had eaten it. I know it is just meat in the shape of a loaf but it has never appealed to me. I am outnumbered in my house though because my husband, father-in-law, and son all like it.
I decided it would be nice to treat my father-in-law since 2 weeks ago he bought steak and lobster. While I was looking for hamburger meat, I strolled by the sausage aisle and seen chorizo. I had an epiphany of sorts and decided to mix the two together and see what came out. My children do not like onions and because I was using the chorizo, I wasn’t worried about nixing the onions from the recipe. I stepped out further and added shredded cheese. The results were fabulous and they can’t wait for me to make it again. See the recipe below and make it for your own family.
Not Your Mama’s Meatloaf
1 1/2 lbs ground hamburger or chuck (what every your prefer)
1 lb seasoned chorizo (I used hot but mild would be good if you have kids)
1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
1 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
4-6 oz of cheese (cut into 6 equal size chunks)
2 cans tomato soup
- Combine hamburger and chorizo in large bowl. With clean hands work the hamburger and the chorizo until the two are very well blended.
- Add Breadcrumbs, eggs, seasoned salt, onion powder, and garlic salt. Mix together until everything is mixed in.
- Separate the meat mixture into 6 mini loafs.
- Create a well in the middle of each loaf and place cheese inside. Form meat back around cheese.
- In medium bowl,combine the tomato soup with water. Mix together.
- Pour soup in pan making sure to pour on each meatloaf.
- Bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes until they are cooked all the way thru.
- Remove from oven and Serve with mashed potatoes.
Hi I’m Gwendolyn and I have been a stay at home mom since 2009. I have been with my husband, James, for 10 years and we are proud parents of Jayme (8) and Nicholas (14). We are also parents to 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 hamsters, a snake and 2 fish. My father-in-law lives with us so it is always non-stop at our house. I had the honor of becoming a step-parent when I got married and have a great relationship with my step-son. I always used coupons and shopped for bargains but was forced to step up my game when my husband was disabled in 2005. I get an incredible rush from saving money and finding great deals. My life is a constant journey and I look forward to sharing it with you all.
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal