Oven Baked French Toast
I am always looking for ways to save money and use up things I have in my house to make dinner. I knew last night that today was going to be a long day and I would not want to trying to figure out what I could make for dinner . I figured I would plan ahead and took a look around my kitchen. I found I had 2 loaves of bread that were a few days old but not moldy. I hate throwing away food so I decided French Toast was in order. We are in the middle of a near winter freeze and the stove being on would help to add warmth to the house. However, I knew I would not want to be standing over the stove making 2 loaves of French Toast. I have a teenage son so yes I would need almost all of that. I decided to whip up a French Toast Bake and have it ready to throw in the oven today. It smelled so great it filled up the whole house and no one was complaining about the extra heat with the temperatures dropping to -35 tonight.
This Oven Baked French Toast Recipe is very easy to make and takes no time at all to whip up. My kids love to help with everything but their favorite part is tearing the bread up for the base of the Oven Baked French Toast.
Oven Baked French Toast Recipe
Oven Baked French Toast Recipe for Kids
- 2 Loafs White Bread
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 8 Eggs
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional Topping: cinnamon/sugar mix and brown sugar
- Break bread into 1 inch cube pieces and place in greased 9x13 pan.
- Beat cream cheese on medium speed until smooth.
- Slowly add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition
- Add milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanila, mixing completely
- Pour the mixture on bread pieces, you may need to move the bread pieces around to make sure
- that the bread is completely covered.
- If desired, sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mix and brown sugar on top of mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 375*
- While the oven is preheating, remove bread mixture from fridge and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with syrup.
I don’t use metal baking pans but use stoneware so when I remove the Oven Baked French Toast from the refrigerator I place it in the oven before the oven has pre-heated. This way while the oven is slowly warming up, the stoneware warms up as well so it doesn’t break. If you put a cold glass or stoneware in a hot oven it can cause it to crack so you want to bring it to room temperature first or let it warm up with the oven. Since I don’t want the food going bad and I don’t have a lot of time to waste, warming it up with the oven is the easiest way to go.