Selling a House Tips
Selling a House Tips: How to Maximize the Profit from Your Home Sale
Spring is one of the best times to sell your home. The weather is nice, the flowers are in bloom (improving curb appeal), and for people who prefer to move during Summer, spring is the time to buy or sell. But selling your home is more than keeping it clean and posting a “For Sale” sign in the yard. There are many affordable things you can do increase the value of your home. Below is a home seller checklist of tasks to get your home in top shape to maximize your profit from the home sale.
Selling a House Tips: Checklist
Make Needed Repairs
Check that the following are working properly:
- Faucets and toilets (not leaking)
- Drains (not clogged or slow)
- Doors and Windows (no squeaks, they close all the way)
- Air handler (working and not making unusual noises)
- Roof (no leaks)
- Lights – inside and out (working)
- Decks, porches (not squeaking, no lose boards)
- Garage (door closes and locks)
- Driveway (no potholes)
Clear the Clutter
Clutter can make your home seem smaller and makes it more difficult for home buyers to see themselves living there.
- Store excess furniture
- Pack up books and knickknacks
- Clear off shelves
- Remove personal photos, awards etc off walls and shelves
- Clean out closets (storage is a big selling feature)
- Clean up toys
- Organize and clean up gardening tools
- Get rid of extra patio furniture (too much makes your deck look small)
Home buyers are turned off by icky grout and stains. Scrub your house top to bottom to make it look as clean and new as possible.
- Clean floors and carpets. Consider hiring a floor cleaning professional or even replacing tired looking carpet.
- Clean baseboards
- Clean doors and door frames (these areas tend to have a lot of built up handprints)
- Clean windows including the sills (sills tend to get dirt and dead bugs)
- Clean appliances top, bottom and inside (don’t forget the top of the fridge and floors under appliances)
- Wash cupboard doors, frames and shelves
- Power wash exterior of home
- Sweep and treat your deck and/or porch
- Get rid of weeds on the lawn, driveway and walkways
Clean is good, but adding freshness to clean boosts buyers’ perceptions of a well-kept home.
- Paint rooms a clean, neutral color
- Paint base boards and door frames
- Add window treatments that let light in natural light
- Wash or buy new linens and towels for bed and bath
- Place fresh flowers around the home during a showing
- Plant colorful flowers outside
- Clean up and/or add landscaping
About the Author: Monticello Country Realtors has been providing home selling and buying services to Fluvanna County and Central Virginia for 3o years. Stop by Monticello Country Realtors to see current homes for sale, including waterfront listings, get home buying and selling tips and more. Don’t forget to visit them on Facebook for current news and information about Central Virginia.
Also make sure to read these tips: