Each Thursday during the Fall and Winter I will showcase a slow cooker (crock-pot) recipe that I have tried and tasted. By sharing I hope you will be able to save a little time during the week as we all know saving time is just as valuable as saving money. And you will be able to enjoy a hot meal at the end of your day.
This week’s recipe is for Chicken and Dumplings! I personally love chicken and dumplings so I was excited to find an easy recipe to try. One thing to note is I put more celery and potatoes in then called for so I had to add more water to the pot in order for it to not be a large mess. Good rule of thumb is to keep the water level at 2/3 of the pot if it’s a soup or stew.
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium white sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)**
- 2 cups whole baby carrots
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. dried oregano**
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- Place the chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery into a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir the soup, water, oregano and black pepper in a small bowl. Pour the soup mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours* or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir the baking mix and milk in a medium bowl. Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto the chicken mixture. Increase the heat to HIGH. Tilt the lid to vent and cook for 30 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked in the center.
*Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Recipe Credit: Recipe.com
** Substituted White Sweet Potatoes for Yukon Gold Potatoes and Oregano for Thyme as these were what I had on hand.
Thanks The Centsible Family!
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal