As you might know from reading my 101 uses for Baking Soda and my 25 uses for Apple Cider Vinegar I love finding multiple uses for common household items. It saves money and space, and who doesn’t love both of those things right? In this article, let’s talk about different uses for baking powder.
10 Clever Other Uses for Baking Powder That You Never Knew
I’m sure most of you have a container of baking powder in your house, and I don’t know about you, but I use about a tbsp of it about 3 times a month, so I always have a ton left over!
So I thought I would do some research and find what else I could use baking powder for, and I wanted to share them with you!
Here are My Top 10 Uses for Baking Powder
1. For Cleaning
So, you forgot about that baking powder you bought last year and now it’s expired. Don’t throw it away just yet! There are actually a few surprising uses for expired baking powder that might come in handy. And for me, the best way is to use expired baking powder to clean!
Baking powder can be used as a natural cleaner for various household items. It can be mixed with water to make a paste and used to scrub away stains on sinks, countertops, and stovetops.
Use it to soak for pots and pans – Stuck on foods making pots and pans hard to clean? Soak them in a mix of hot water and baking powder and you won’t have to scrub so hard!
As a Crayon Mark remover -Did little one decided to use the wall to make a master piece? Use a mix of hot water and baking powder and gently scrub the marks off with a toothbrush.
As a Cleaner for your Microwave – Put 2 tbsp of baking powder and 2 cups of water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. This will loosen any stuck on food and make it where you can easily wipe it clean!
Baking powder can be used to absorb unpleasant odors in refrigerators, closets, and shoes. Simply place an open container of baking powder in the area and let it absorb the odor.
You can sprinkle some baking powder on your carpets and then vacuum it up to suck up some of those set in odors. The same can also be done for car seats (fabric, not leather)!
As a freshener for your shoes: Fill a pair of socks with baking powder and tie off the ends. Stick them in shoes you want to keep fresh!
3. Natural Deodorant
Baking powder can be mixed with water to create a natural deodorant. Apply it under the arms to absorb moisture and neutralize odors.
4. Detergent Booster
Put a tsp of baking powder in with your clothes and it will help remove odors in the wash.
Got a grease stain on your shirt? Sprinkle some baking powder on the spot and leave it to soak up the grease, wash as usual and the grease spot will be gone!
Check out this Homemade Best Degreaser Recipe
6. As a Way to Keep Out Ants
Ants invading your house? Mix an equal amount of baking powder and salt and sprinkle around the outside of doors and windows to deter them.
7. As a Gas Blocker
A tsp of baking powder in water while cooking dried beans will lesson gas and bloating that comes from eating the beans!
8. As a Drain Opener
Have a partially clogged drain? Pour in 1/2 a cup of baking powder followed by 1/2 a cup of vinegar and let bubble. Wait a few minutes and follow up with some hot water and the clog should be gone!
9. Homemade Playdough
Baking powder can be used as an ingredient in homemade playdough recipes. It helps the playdough to rise and become soft and pliable.
10. Fruits and Vegetables Wash
Baking powder can be used to help remove pesticides and other chemicals from fruits and vegetables. Soak them in water with a teaspoon of baking powder for 10-15 minutes before rinsing them off.
So there you have it, 10 uses for baking powder that you may not have thought of before! What is your favorite use for baking powder? Let us know in the comments below!
Like my 10 Uses for Baking Powder? Read more tips:
- 10 Uses for Vicks Vapor Rub
- Household Uses for Denture Tablets
- Helpful uses for Cornstarch
- Epsom Salt Uses
- Top Borax Uses
- Great Vaseline Uses
- Mineral Oil Uses
Also check out my 101 Uses for Baking Soda
CUTE AND FUN KITCHEN TOOLS
- Quirky kitchen tool that absorbs odors in your refrigerator
- Funny egg separator that kids will surely find funny
- An adorable pasta server that features a dinosaur-shaped head with pasta-snagging teeth
- Unique and super cute oven mitts perfect for cat lovers
- Oven mitt sets are 100% cotton, quilted and padded. Cooking and baking heat resistant
- A fun way to safely strain, cool, save, or dispose of used bacon grease
- Created with a removable strainer that sits on top, the bacon grease catcher separates small bacon bits from used grease.
- Cute knives for your charcuterie board
- Scrape and spread using this cute spatula
- Easy to clean, heat-resistant, and food-safe.
- Dice and slice using this ninja-shaped wood chopping board with a knife-friendly surface
- Boil, store and serve eggs using this adorable penguin-shaped tool
- Heat-resistant. BPA FREE. Dishwasher-safe
- Store your butter and keep them fresh in this cute plastic butter dish
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Cook, Baker, Phototaker, Fitness Mover and Shaker, Cupcake Tester, Deal Maker, Adventurous Undertaker, Do Good “Deeder”, Teacher, Mom, Wife, Patriot for Life & Giver of Good Advice – RealAdviceGal